I have just spoken to Stefan Hess, in lockdown in his apartment at Palamos, and we feel we have no choice and have to cancel the European Championship at the end of April.
With governments in Spain, France, Italy, UK and Czech Republic all advising against travel at the moment due to coronavirus, it seems very unlikely that a satisfactory event could occur in April.
We have decided to cancel instead of postpone, not only because the picture in so uncertain, but also because we still have our Gold Cup scheduled at Lake Lipno in September, and we must all hope that in better circumstances this will be able to go ahead.
We very much hope to organise an event in Palamos in our schedule in 2021, since without a doubt it is a fabulous sailing venue - as was proved by the winter training sessions. Thank you to Stefan and Carles for putting all the effort in to organising what promised to be a great event. We hope they will do so again.
Obviously, everyone who has paid to enter will be refunded by the club. Details will be sent by the club.
Our real sympathies go to those who are having much more serious problems than this. In the meantime, if you can, head off and go sailing - you have a great single-handed and can stay on the water away from everyone else.
Best wishes to all